Today in this Article we will talk about “What is Superfetch, How to Disable Superfetch in Windows 10 / 8/ 7 or Enable it”. So let’s start.
Table of Contents
What is Superfetch ?
Superfetch is a service which is introduced by Microsoft and it is available in all version of Windows from Vista to XP, 7/ 8/ and Windows 10. Now you will think that what is the function of Superfetch Service. Well, It can be both bad or good it all depends on your PC.
Its function is that it Pre-load all the program data and save it in the RAM ( Random Access Memory ) to optimize the boot time of the software. So that the Application launched quickly. It is a good feature, but it has also some bad effects on the PC.
Actually it works great for that Applications which you use the most, but it will slow down boot time of those programs which you use frequently. Because the RAM will be already filled with those softwares which you use mostly and thus, there will be no space left for your frequently used programs.
Its common effect on windows is Hanging, Getting out of memory, 100% CPU usage etc. The Superfetch only effect those systems which have Low RAM. Otherwise, it works great on those PCs which has High RAM.
Should I disable Superfetch?
The answer is, it depend on the system specifications such as RAM etc. If you have a high RAM and you didn’t notice any effect on your system performance, then it is better to leave it enabled. But if you have a slow system and facing many difficulties then you can disable it to improve your Windows performance.
It also depends upon Usage. If you usually play games on your PC, then it is better to disable superfetch, so that you get rid of hanging problems while playing Games on your computer.
How to Enable or Disable Superfetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7.
There are two methods used to enable or disable Superfetch in Windows 10 /8 / 7. We will discuss both of them.
Method 1: Enable or Disable it from Services.
- Step 1: Press the Window + R button on your keyboard. By doing this a “Dialogue Box” will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 2: Type “services.msc” in the dialogue box and click on “OK” or hit “Enter” button.
- Step 3: By doing this a new window, will appear on the screen. Now on that window you have to find “Superfetch” file.
- Step 4: TO find it Press “S and U” button on the keyboard at the same time OR just click on “S” button and then find “Superfetch”.
- Step 5: Now right click on “Superfetch” and click on “Stop“. It will stop all the services at that time. But when you restart your computer the services will begin to start again.
- Step 6: So if you want to get rid of it completely then, disable it permanently. To stop it permanently Click on “Properties“.
- Step 7: After this, A new Pop-up window will appear. Now click on “Startup Type” option in that window.
- Step 8: After Clicking on “Startup Type” option a drop down will be shown. Now in that drop down click on “Disabled” and then Click on “OK“.
- Step 9: Now How to enable it?, If you want to enable it just choose “Automatic” in the “Startup Type” drop down and click on “OK“
- Step 10: Congrats! All done, You did it.
Method 1 is the easiest method to enable or disable Superfetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7. But if this method doesn’t work for you then you can disable or enable it with the 2nd Method. I am 100% that “method 1” will work.
You May also Like: 11 Cool Notepad Tricks and Hacks 2017: Everyone Should Know.
Method 2: Disable it from Registry.
- Step 1: Press the “Window + R” button on the keyboard. By doing this a “Dialogue Box” will open.
- Step 2: Type “Regedit” in the dialogue box and click on “OK” or hit the “Enter” button.
- Step 3: By doing this a new Window will pop out. Which is known as “Registry Editor“.
- Step 4: Now Click on the following Folders and Files.
- 5: >>Session Manager.
- 6:>>Memory Management.
- 7: >>Prefetch Parameters.
- Step 5: After going to the “Prefetch Parameters“, Look at the content at the right side.
- Step 6: Find “Enable Superfetch File” and double click on it or hit Enter.
- Step 7: By doing this a small Window will Pop out, Now Type the following Value to enable or disable superfetch.
- Type “0” to disable it.
- Type “1” to enable it when an Application is launched.
- Type “2” to enable Boot Prefetching.
- Type “3” to enable Superfetching for everything.
- Step 8: Now just Click on OK or hit the Enter button.
- Step 9: Now just close the Registry Editor.
- Step 10: And finally, you did it.
You can use both methods to enable or disable prefetch in Windows 10 / 8 / 7.
You May also Like: How to Convert Exe to Apk Files – 100% Working Method.
I hope that your problem will be solved and understood that “What is Superfetch“. If you have any question/suggestion feel free to ask me in the comment section.
And Don’t forget to share this guide with your friends or family members so that they also get benefit from it.